iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Cannot Get Mail – The Connection to the Server Failed
Some iPhone, iPad or iPod touch users complain that the mail app display error message like "Cannot Get Mail The connection to the server failed" when they try to retrieve new mails, especially from Microsoft Exchange.
You May be Interested In:
- [Guide] Do You Really Know How to Use 'Mail' on iPhone?
- How to Transfer WhatsApp Chats from iPhone/Android to Email
This happens to almost all iOS devices running on iOS 11, iOS 10, iOS 9, iOS 8, iOS 7 and iOS 6, which means that iPhone 8, iPhone 7/7 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5 and iPhone 4s and a majority of iPads are all included.
Fix iPhone Mail Connection to Server Failed Error
The following are several different methods that should help you fix Connection to the Server Failed problem on iPhone or iPad. Please continue to read.
Note: To avoid any data on your iPhone being lost, to back up all things is a must.
Solution 1: Reenter Password
Solution 2: Move Email to Different Inbox Folder
Solution 3: Change the Account Password
Solution 4: Change Microsoft Exchange Security Settings
Other Possible Solutions
Sometimes this problem happened on your iPhone or iPad after you changed your mail password on your computer or laptop. Therefore, you may need to log out and then log in your mail to ensure that it can work well as usual.
STEP 1. In your iOS device, go to Settings > Accounts & Passwords.
STEP 2. Choose the mail account and click Delete Account.
STEP 3. Then, back to the Account & Passwords screen and add your account back.
If possible, just try to select all the mails from the inbox that fail to open and move them to a temporary folder (or different folder) created on the server by right-clicking on the items and choose "Move to" option. Then you should go to the folder and check if they are available to access. If it doesn't work or even impossible to execute this step, it's alright and you can continue to read the other solutions.
If the connection to the server still fails after you try the above methods out, you may probably consider changing your Mail account password. Mail service providers may have trouble in updating your mail information and building valid a connection. To change the password of your account, please go to the official web of mail services like Gmail, Outlook, Microsoft Exchange, Yahoo, iCloud for further help.
- Open Active Directory Users and computer. Then select View > Advanced Features on the top menu.
- Find and right click the mail account to choose Properties. Then, select Security tab and choose Advanced.
- Tick the checkbox "Include inheritable permissions from this object's parent".
- Change the Mail Days to Sync field to No Limit.
- Reset Network settings via Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
- Disable iCloud. Navigate back to mail account and reset the password.
- Delete the account and create it as a new account.
If the "Cannot Get Mail – The Connection to the Server Failed" error cannot be fixed though you have tried all of the solutions above, please drop us a comment in the below area to let us know!