How to Set up and Use AirDrop
What is AirDrop?
AirDrop is a file sharing feature from Apple. It is available on iOS devices running the iOS 7 (and later) operating system as well as laptops and desktops running Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and later. It allows you to quickly and easily send links, photos, files, and more content between nearby iPhones, iPads, and iPod touch. With OS X Yosemite and iOS 8 you can use AirDrop to share files between your Mac and iOS devices.
How to Set up AirDrop?
Turn on AirDrop on iDevices: To activate Airdrop, access Control Center by swiping up from the bottom of the screen. Confirm that both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are turned on at the top of the panel. Then, tap on the AirDrop option. Once you select it, you'll be prompted with the option to make yourself discoverable to no one, to your contacts only, or to everyone. Choose one of them.
Turn on AirDrop on Mac: AirDrop is available from the Finder, the Share menu, and in Open and Save windows. When you choose AirDrop, OS X looks for any nearby computers that have also selected AirDrop.
How to AirDrop files between Mac and iPhone/iPad?
AirDrop from Mac to iPhone
1. Set up AirDrop on Mac and your devices.
2. In the Finder, drag the file to the Mac’s AirDrop window and drop it on the iOS device’s icon.
3. A notice appears on the iPhone or iPad and the file downloads.
AirDrop from iPhone to Mac
1. On your iOS device, find the item that you want to send to your Mac and then tap on the Share button.
2. On your Mac, you should also see a notification slide in from the right of the screen. If you are signed into the same iCloud account, you won’t need to approve the file transfer – it will just transfer automatically and is saved in your Downloads folder.
AirDrop between iOS devices
1. Unlock both devices from the iOS lock screen. Make sure that both device are enabled AirDrop.
2. On the device you wish to share a file from, navigate to an application that includes AirDrop functionality.
3. Select a photo to open up the single photo view
4. Click the Share button
5. Select the device that you wish to share the file with in the AirDrop view at the top of the share sheet. (Make sure that the recipient's device is awake and in range of yours.)
6. While viewing the file you'd like to send, tap the "Share" button.